The Art of Grounding/Earthing & Its Benefits
Have you ever noticed that after you’ve spent some time outside, you feel more calm and relaxed? If so, your body may be responding to the effects of grounding/earthing without you even knowing it!
Grounding, also called Earthing, refers to the copious amounts of benefits that activities such as walking barefoot, laying on the ground, or submerging yourself in water have on the body. Emerging scientific research has revealed that direct physical contact with the electrons on the surface of the Earth play a vital role in overall health and can aid in: better sleep, reducing inflammation, pain management, optimal circulation, reversing effects of non-native EMF, balancing cortisol levels (stress hormone), and elevating energy levels and moods.
With this being said, many modern lifestyle factors have separated us from grounding, which has created a disconnect between us and the Earth; thus creating a surplus of health implications such as chronic illness, immune disorders, and inflammatory diseases. Some of the factors that play a role in this disconnect are: rubber shoes instead of traditional leather, sleeping on propped up beds (of which are usually made from synthetic materials) far from the earth, and living in buildings that are not grounded directly on the Earth.
Whether you live by the beach or in a tall apartment building where it snows, there are always ways to make sure you are getting in your grounding practices everyday.
Some of our favorite grounding practices are:
- Grounding our bare feet into the Earth-- even during winter! Work your way up and your body will slowly adapt to the cold. Cold therapy is also extremely good for our health and helps us adapt to stress. For reference, search and listen to “Wim Hof” and his techniques! Always proceed with caution & grab a buddy to try this with you.
- Laying at a park in the grass barefoot
- Jumping in the ocean, or rivers/streams nearby (even just putting your feet in works too!)
- Wearing barefoot shoes while outside; many brands online have these.. just do a quick search! **this is a good one for those who may be living in colder climates
- Hugging a tree
- Gardening (having indoor house plants if you live in a city or highrise building is helpful in connecting with nature)
- Sungazing (looking directly into the sun ONLY during dawn & dusk)
- If you don’t have easy access to the outdoors, we recommend grounding mats, grounding sheets/blankets, grounding socks, and grounding bands/patches-- all of which can be found online.
Connecting and grounding with the Earth everyday is just one key aspect to a healthy life; but when combined with getting adequate sunshine, breathing clean air, drinking mineral rich water, eating a nutritious whole food diet, and supplementing with Cymbiotika (of course ;)), you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of optimal vitality and longevity… and who wouldn’t want that?!
Tag us in your stories and posts where you are grounding/earthing-- we would love to see how you are all getting creative with this! Happy earthing!!!
With love and gratitude,
The Cymbiotika Team
** Clinical Research on Grounding/Earthing: