When it comes to achieving a healthy complexion, skincare works best from the inside out. When you’re hydrated, eating nutrient-rich foods, and getting plenty of sleep, it shows in the glow of your skin. But when you’re stressed, burnt out, or having a hard time getting shuteye, your skin condition may not look as dewy as you’d like.
Put simply, your wellness practices will shine through your skin.
But whether you’re just getting into the basics of skincare or you’re a skincare aficionado, there’s one ingredient you should definitely consider adding to your routine—elderberry products.
#1 Prevents Wrinkles and Premature Aging
Aging is a natural part of life, but that doesn’t mean you can’t age gracefully with a little help from elderberry products. Elderberries are packed with antioxidants and vitamin A, both of which have been shown to help reduce signs of aging.1
Vitamin A helps even out skin tone and helps with the appearance of age spots. Antioxidants in elderberries reduce the number of free radicals in your body, which helps to slow down visible signs of aging.
Unfamiliar with free radicals and the wonders of antioxidants for skincare? Here’s what you need to know about free radicals and skin health:2
- Free radicals are oxygen molecules that are missing an electron, making them highly unstable. They “steal” electrons from other molecules in the body, causing the body’s molecules to destabilize and not function properly.
- Along with being linked to health conditions such as cancer and heart disease, free radicals are notorious for speeding up the aging process. They break down elastin and collagen, the proteins that keep our skin firm, plump, and elastic. This can result in sagging skin, wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines.
- Antioxidants soak up a free radical’s unpaired electron, neutralizing the threat in the process. As a result, antioxidants limit the number of free radicals in the body, which helps keep your skin (and every other part of you) healthy and thriving.
Rich in polyphenols, elderberries are the perfect ingredient to help fortify your skin against UV damage and promote healthy cell growth.
- What are polyphenols? Polyphenols are chemical compounds found in many plants and fruits—including elderberries.
- What is UV damage? UV damage is cellular damage caused by solar radiation. UV damage comes from exposure to the sun’s UV rays (a.k.a. sunshine). Consistent UV damage can cause increased signs of premature aging and increase the risk of skin cancer.
So how do the polyphenols in elderberries come into play against UV damage? Studies have shown that polyphenols have photoprotective effects on skin cells, meaning they can help fortify skin against UV damage on a microscopic level.3 Additionally, polyphenols can increase skin cell production, helping skin look young and healthy.
What’s more is that polyphenols also have antioxidant properties, so that they can help in the fight against signs of aging.
#3 Prevents Breakouts
For those who struggle with oily or acne-prone skin, elderberry supplementation may offer aid in the most important step of your skincare routine—cleansing.
First, a little background on acne: Acne is most often caused by clogged pores. When a pore is clogged, it traps bacteria within the skin, leading to an infection—the pesky red bumps we know as acne. Pores can be clogged with:
- Excess facial oil (or sebum)
- Dirt and grime
- Dead skin cells
When pores are clear, it’s more difficult for bacteria to be trapped and for pimples to form. Elderberry tree cleansing products can help prevent acne thanks to black elderberry’s astringent properties. An astringent is a chemical that tightens skin and strips oil. The cleansing astringent found in elderberries helps to remove excess oils, clear away dead skin cells, and tighten pores to reduce oil production and keep breakouts at bay.
#4 Helps Fade Scars
The properties in elderberry supplementation encourage collagen production and maintain skin elasticity. As noted above, collagen is an abundant protein in the body that helps ensure skin stays firm yet elastic—the opposite of how a scar feels.
With the inclusion of an elderberry supplement and the balance of collagen production, scars, blemishes, and other unwanted skin marks will have an easier time fading away quickly.
#5 Keeps Skin Radiant with Vitamin C
When it comes to skincare, there’s one vitamin that may be key to your skincare dreams—vitamin C (and the raw elderberry plant is chock-full of it).
Though more commonly associated with helping fight off colds, vitamin C is a quadruple-threat when it comes to achieving youthful, healthy skin:4
It acts as an antioxidant, helping to fight free radicals, reduce fine lines, and promote youthful-looking skin.
It’s essential in the body’s collagen production process. As mentioned, collagen is a kind of protein that keeps skin firm. The body uses vitamin C to create these essential molecules for plump, healthy skin.
Vitamin C also inhibits melanin production in the skin. Melanin cells are pigmented cells that give skin its color. Melanin is also produced in age spots and is what makes scars noticeable. Vitamin C keeps your melanin production in balance to help fade marks and keep skin radiant.
- This skin-loving vitamin also promotes healthy cell turnover and regeneration. The newer your cells, the fresher and more healthy your complexion looks from elderberry, vitamin C and zinc.
Elderberries are extremely high in vitamin C, so incorporating them into your skincare routine is a surefire way to boost your skin health.
#6 Remedies Scalp Issues
Your scalp is a part of your skin and deserves just as much care and attention as the rest of your skin. A scratchy, dry, or flaky scalp is often a cause for treatment, and once again, black elderberry oil is on the case.
Elderberry oil can be used to soothe and treat dandruff, itchiness, and other minor scalp concerns. In fact, natural ingredients are often better for your scalp because:5
- They prevent hair from breaking off.
- They don’t contain chemicals or artificial fragrances which can damage hair.
- They aren’t as harsh and rough on the hair follicles.
- They add an extra layer of protection from UV radiation.
If you have scalp concerns, it may be time to look at the products you’re using and try natural alternatives like raw elderberry.
Bonus Benefit: Healthy Inside and Out
Elderberries aren’t only beneficial for your skin. They can also have a positive effect on the health of your entire body. A healthy dose of elderberry fruit can be beneficial for a more complete picture of health. It can even help you answer the questions of does elderberry help with sinus infections and does vitamin c help with allergies
Some additional benefits of the elderberry plant include:
- Reduce upper respiratory illnesses
- Stronger immune system
- Good for the digestive system
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Reduces the risk of cancers
Long story short: elderberries are the ticket to healthy skin and a healthy you. All you have to do to take advantage of all these benefits is to start integrating elderberries into your skincare and wellness routine.
Ways to Incorporate Elderberry Into Your Skincare Routine
Yes, elderberry fruit might just be your secret weapon when it comes to achieving your skincare goals. But how do you add this powerhouse to your routine?
Elderberry skincare products – From cleansers to serums, there’s a myriad of skincare products that feature elderberry flower. Be sure to check out the ingredients list to ensure that the elderberry content is high on the list.
- Elderberry supplements – Topical treatments are helpful, but they really only go skin-deep. Elderberry supplements allow you to work with your body’s natural skin-beautifying systems, benefiting your skin from the inside out. The question is, which elderberry supplements are best? Thankfully, Cymbiotika has the answer with our Elderberry immune support supplement pouches. This supertonic provides the elderberry shrub nourishment your skin needs for that healthy glow.
Embrace Healthier Skin with Cymbiotika
When you feel your best, it shows in your skin. Elderberries can unlock a whole new world of skin and body wellness. And elderberry flower supplements can be a valuable addition to any lifestyle and routine.
At Cymbiotika, we can guarantee that our natural ingredients are pure and full of the beneficial nutrients you need for your wellness journey. Try our Elderberry Defense to help supplement your skincare goals, or create a bundle of skin-loving supplements to help you save more and feel your best.
Take charge of your wellness journey today with Cymbiotika.
- Cleveland Clinic. Wrinkles. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/10984-wrinkles
- Harvard Health Publishing. Understanding antioxidants. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/understanding-antioxidants
- PubMed. Polyphenols: skin photoprotection and inhibition of photocarcinogenesis https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22070679/
- Healthline. 11 Reasons to Add Vitamin C to Your Skin Care Routine. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/vitamin-c-serum-benefits
- Hudson Valley. The Benefits of Natural Beauty Products. https://hvmag.com/the-benefits-of-using-natural-beauty-products/
- Skin Cancer Foundation. Skin Cancer Facts & Statistics. https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts/
- Archives of Dermatological Research. Skin photoprotection by natural polyphenols: Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and DNA repair mechanisms. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2813915/
- Parlor Salon. Top Benefits of Using Natural Hair Products For Beautiful Hair. https://parlorsalon.org/http-checkbiotech-org-top-benefits-of-using-hair-products-for-beautiful-hair/
- Mayo Clinic. Acne. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acne/symptoms-causes/syc-20368047
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington. Antioxidants and Free Radicals. https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/kbase/topic.jhtml?docId=hn-2802005